Saturday, January 24, 2015

1/19-1/20/15 - Cristian Olmos

Our last, full day in San Lucas was as work-filled as other days. We began the day with our 8 AM breakfast, which I barely had arrived to on time because my fellow roomates didn't wake me up on the one of the few days I didn't wake myself up. Breakfast consisted of a "never-before seen" combination of scrambled eggs and black beans, both which were very "suculent" and "full of flavor". I seriously had to put insane amounts of salt.on my food so my taste buds could notice I had food in my mouth. Regardless, the cooks suprised on some days and I appreciated the variety on some days. 
After breakfast, our group rode on a pickup truck along with some other volnteers to participate in the long awaited coffee picking process. We rode  into a plot of land full of coffee.and were then given instructions on where and what coffee beans to pick. Our service group then separated into smaller groups to pick coffee and each group got a small basket to deposit our beans. I worked in conjunction with Ryan and Joe and I can firmly state that I picked the most amount of beans in our small group, regardless of what they both may say. The picking of beans went on for about two hours and all of us met up to collect our picked beans in one  large bag which we didn't fill even with all our combined efforts. A lady from another group then proceeded to put Joe and Francisco to shame by carrying the extremely heavy bag of coffee up a hill and a small road after they both struggled with the bag even when they worked together. After the bag was loaded on to the a truck, we returned to the mission for some lunch. Right after lunch, our group headed to a coffee production building where we split into two groups; one stayed in the building to separate coffee beans and the other went to a back lot to harvest beans and weed the area. I was part of the latter, and I can say weeding and picking up beans is dull and mindless work. I enjoyed this working period primarily because we managed to bring down a large part of a tree with our bare hands. And so, after we all had done our pieces of work, we reunited and had dinner in San Lucas for the last time. 
Following diner was a much-discussed soccer game between some of our service group members and some of the locals. I personally didn't participate for the sole reason that I was wearing sandals and since I am part Mexican, it would have been an unfair advantage to be in either team. Ryan, Kevin, Joe, Fr. Kirk, Ms. Mekrut, and I watched from the sidelines and cheered both teams playing on. The game was quite enjoyable to watch and from what some of the players said, it was amazing to play with the locals. To conclude the day, we entire group visited the house of one of the Long Term Volunteers working at the mission called Jackson who was of great help throughout our time there and thus we gave him a Saints jacket and made him an "honorary Saintman". Following this award ceremny, we slept in prepartion for our long trip ahead of us the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment