Saturday, January 24, 2015

1/21/15 - Kevin Lopez

Before talking about what we did today, I would first like to say how wonderful and truly eye opening this trip as been for me.  It’s not only wonderful to see the world outside The United States but it’s also wonderful to meet people you would never meet otherwise.  I have gotten much closer as a friend to all my fellow saints brothers and that in itself is great but I have also became friends with people from Minnesota, Texas, and other states as well as people from Mexico and Guatemala. This trip is also very eye opening because you see what the kids and adults in these very rough living conditions very happy. As I was walking in San Lucas everyone I saw from a kindergartener to a great-grandmother looked very happy and was very easy to say “Hola” and get a positive response. Now on to what we went though today.  Today we woke up, finished last minute packing and headed to breakfast. As normal we had bread, oatmeal, and black beans. (Side note: the black beans today were the best ever.) What made the breakfast special was the saying goodbye to all the people I became friends with.  It really made me think about all the great people I am now friend with.  After the goodbyes we had a chance to buy coffee and get everything all together to leave.  We took last minute pictures with our group and others and headed on our way to Antigua. We stopped a few ways there to get some food and have a bathroom break but after an hour or so in the car we arrived around 1:00pm. We got to our rooms settled down, went to the third floor for a group talk and headed out to see the city.  We all went to the square and Father Kirk set us free until 6:00pm but there was a challenge set by him.  To make it more interesting and educational he said that there was ruins of a Augustinian Church and whoever found it first and showed him a picture would choice first where to be in the bus tomorrow. I decided to go with Ryan to look for it and after a while with no luck we gave up and went to lunch at Burger King. WHAT YOUR IN ANOTHER COUNRTY AND YOU GO THERE??? Yes we did because we needed something American and a meal without black beans. After that we went back to the hostel and heard that Joe was the first to find Father Kirk and show him a picture of the church. Time passed and we all gathered and went to dinner at an Italian Indian place. Everyone picked the Italian food but I decided to be bold and go for an Indian dish. I got a curry dish with Goan fish. I have never have had Goan fish so I thought to give it a try.  It was your typical fresh water white mild fish but the dish was delicious. We were at dinner for a while talking and telling stories and then we came back to our hostel.  We all went to our rooms and hung out.  I went up to the roof with Francesco and Father kirk and we talked about life for a while.  It was a nice end to a fun day.  That sums it all up for today and I hope everyone reading this is enjoying reading about our trip.  Thank you all for reading and thank you for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment